Macaron timee

Two post in a day i'm on a roll,
Well ladies and gents while i was on my baking expedition over the past couple days I said hey, why don't I try to make macarons not the coconutty kind the french meringue kind. I've always heard how hard they were to make and it fascinated me weirdly enough so on this glorious day on the 5th of August I took the plunge.

Problem 1 was finding a good recipe when I was reading up I saw that Italian macarons were more stable aka less likely to go wrong so I was all up for that (almond flour isn't the cheapest thing to buy let alone waste lol)
* side note I got my almond flour from Holland and Barretts but i'm sure any health food store would sell it maybe even Your local supermarket.
Anywho back to the tale of the Macaron trial, I recently bought a sugar thermometer which is key if you chose to make Macarons the Italian way but in typical fashion I managed to break it taking it out the packet but I didn't let that stop me, I probably should have *hides face*.

<< the culprit thermometer lol 
 In the end I ended up throwing away the sugar syrup mess that I had made with my dodgy thermometer and just found a regular recipe on pinterest which was very random (link for recipe at the bottom). I was a bit sceptical whether it would work but either I am the Sheldon Cooper of Macarons and I never knew or they are genuinely not that hard to make lool .

Considering all the mishaps I had for them to actually have feet I could've screamed with joy.

After watching every Macaron video known to man and reading every blog I gathered I should get my eggs mature for 12-24hr which worked out perfectly because my cake mix i previously made only required egg yolks, and that it should have the consistency of Molten lava when it was finished. I think this was where I went wrong my mixture was a little bit thinner maybe that's why the feet on my Macarons didn't rise fully hmm.

After the mixture its smooth sailing , just put in in a piping bag with a round tip and pipe some circles onto a greaseproof sheet on a baking tray, I drew a circle template using the bottom of a bottle and placed that under the grease proofsheet to try and get uniform circles. oooo also I painted stripes in the inside of my piping tip to get the swirled effect.

After about 5 mins in the oven I took them out thinking they were cooked i was wrong lol I think this also effected the feet aswell making them look flatter, but its all a learning curve.

For my first time making Macarons i'm very happy with how they came out they had feet despite how little they were and it wasn't just a crunchy meringue biscuit lol 

oh and I filled them with Vanilla buttercream, It was a bit to sweet in contrast to the Macaroon shell flavour but now I know for next time.


Ciao until my next baking escapade

Just a Girl who Loves to Bake xx




Links
 Macaron Recipe


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Flickr Photostream

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author